Friday 28 October 2005

Project: white merino jumper

I bought some merino that was a bit coarser than I expected a while ago - it was superfine (18.5 microns) instead of ultrafine (17 microns). That's not a lot of difference, but it had a different feel to the ultrafine merino and spun silk cap laceweight fibre (topic for another post) I had been making. So I spun that stuff up quite thickly - roughly the weight of an 8-10-ply (Australian weight) wool.


Image hosted by Photobucket.com

This looked so nice, and I know it's going to be hard to buy merino in the UK as Uk wool is coarser than what you can get in Australia, so last night I bought myself another kilo of 18.5 micron wool.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Yes, it's on a real dining chair. This is now stashed in one of my bags to fly out with me and give me something to do for the first little while in Cambridge. What do I plan to do with it? Take it with me on the ship to Antarctica, so I can knit this:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

It will make for a beautifully soft casual jumper. You'll see more of this as it progresses.

1 comment: