Friday 21 October 2005

Spun silk caps and the result (May 26, 2005)

I need to make myself an icon for the textile stuff.
Thanks to 's research, that problem is now solved!



What the silk caps looked like spun as singles and dyed. You've seen this before.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Then I bought some olive-green merino, spun it finely and plied it with the silk.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I found I had quite a bit left over so I then spun the rest of the wool and plied it together. I ended up with 4 skeins - two just wool, a thicker, looser silk/wool skein (on the left) and a finer silk/wool skein (on the right). They're all somewhere between a 2-ply and a 4-ply in weight. I haven't actually measured how long these are, but there's somthing like 90 m in each skein.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Although I think this looks nice, it didn't turn out quite the way I'd pictured so I'd shelved my plans for the scarf I was going to make from it, and it's been sitting on the table beside the loom, while I waited for it to tell me what it wanted to be. Yesterday the idea was put in my head that because this is lovely and soft, it would make a good beanie for a baby (using the pattern I used for H, which is nice and stretchy and would fit a baby for a while), or a baby's blanket.

Yes, you read that. Me, Geo, just said she's planning to make baby's things. I never thought I'd say that. But a friend's wife gave birth to a baby last week, and I want to make some things for my cousin before she gives birth in December, so this appears to be the time!

, this is a better shot than the moblog one. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment