Wednesday 13 August 2008

Warping up

I beamed the next project last weekend. This is the green cotton for the teatowels for the teatowel exchange. The yellow cotton on the swift in the background is what I plan to use for the weft.

Photobucket

I did everything wrong while beaming this warp. I beamed it back-to-front, but did it while half asleep and not paying attention. And I didn't seal the threads into the raddle. So the threads went all over the place, I had to figure out where they ought to be and move packets of thread at random in order to get the warp spread at roughly the right location and width on the beam. What I really should have done was give up and rewind the warp, but I chose to persist and see what the outcome was.

What I did right was to proceed calmly and with confidence. None of the stress and worry that I used to have when beaming a warp. And I remembered a lot of things that I have learned from Peggy Osterkamp's book: I weighted the warp in two bouts in the front of the loom, beamed slowly, and shook and bounced the warp to clear that tangles my rough handling at the raddling atage had caused. And the warp went on relatively smoothly. I threaded the heddles up, sleyed the reed and laced the warp packets on. You can see in the above image just how un-smoothly the warp went on, by seeing how uneven the ends of the packets are.

I've not tightened this yet, the threads are still sitting there loosely. I'll tighten the tension tonight and if it all looks OK, I'll weave off a sample as an experiment to see how well I can deal with a poor warp. I'm approaching this with interest and excitment, rather than the tension and half-dread I used to have when approaching a difficult warp (even one of my own making!).

This experience has, however, crystallised a desire I've had for some time. I've always wanted a sectional back beam, and two days ago I put in an enquiry about ordering one.

As an added bonus picture, here's a photo of the cotton on the loom, with the silk on top. The silk was dyed with the same set of dyes as the cotton, and the difference in colour take-up is fascinating. The yellow silk cap will be woven to be a weft into the green silk's warp, to make two scarves.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment