Tuesday 9 September 2008


Sometimes the most unusual household objects come in handy when weaving. What you see here is an Aboriginal artwork, a carved and decorated branch in the shape of a goanna. I brought him with me when I moved and he lives in my studio. My most recent draft (a braided twill) is very heavy on using shafts one and two, so I had to move some heddles around. The little goanna's wooden legs made him the best thing ever to take the weight off the shafts while the moving operation was underway!

2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean. Barbecue skewers, cooking chopsticks, combs; mine have been more mundane things. And then there are the stuff from the fishing gear shop...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You never quite look at the same thing again, do you?

    It's what's to hand, of course.

    ReplyDelete