Monday 30 November 2009

Taunted

Last Thursday, I had a much-anticipated operation in which a surgeon cut four holes in my stomach and removed my dying and toxic gallbladder. Suddenly I feel well for the first time in over a year! Now I have two weeks at home to get over the op, which presents me with a problem: with a bonus two weeks at home, I'd normally plan to weave and weave some more, with a goo healthy bit of gardening, bike riding and some glorious cooking thrown in for good measure. But I'm not allowed to do any of that, or anything else which will work my abdominals for a while because I'm literally held together with glue at the moment! So I'm moving around at a granny pace, doing the most mundane of movements s-l-o-w-l-y and carefully.

So what to do? Well....it seems I can still spin, and I'm spinning some lovely silk and baby camel roving at the moment. But also:


I can finally fringe all of the woven items waiting for it, which always get put off in favour of more physical endeavours. To that end, I've taken a page from the book of Susan from Thrums, and drawn up a 1-inch grid on some firm packing foam, so I can work on making my fringes more even and proper. I'll start on that this afternoon.


I can never resist a good book, so I've also treated myself to some new (and new-to-me) books bloggers have mentioned, so can kick back on the sofa and enjoy The Primary Structures of Fabrics, Woven Shibori, Weaving in the Peruvian Highlands and a couple of classic old books I've picked up in recent months but haven't had a chance to absorb, Mary E. Snyder's The Crackle Weave and Palmy Weigle's Double Weave. I also have several books on gardening, self sufficiency and permaculture and one on basket weaving to enjoy. This time is also giving me the chance to settle in and enjoy Bonnie Innouye's wonderful Exploring Multishaft Design. But that really makes me want to weave. Which brings me back to this....



Temptation at the loom. It's earning it's nickname 'The Torture Device' at the moment. It sits in its room and taunts me. There's a heavy kokbragd floor rug on it for the front hall at the moment, and the heavy beat required would be too much. I'd thought I might be able to get all six feet of it woven off in the weekend before the operation, but I spent the weekend finishing the heavy work on the allotment and wove all of six inches. I'm itching to get stuck into playing with the colours but I've faithfully promised that I'll wait at least a week before trying to do anything on it.

Maybe in a few days if the weather's nice enough I could use my spare time to see if running some fleeces through the drum carder wouldn't be too much work?

Of course, aside from the reading and drinking lots of herb tea, I haven't actually done any of these things yet!

8 comments:

  1. Hope you heal quickly and well!! It's good to take it easy, even though I know it's hard to.

    Fringe-twisting and books are great ways to productively pass the time - as well as spinning yarn that sounds like it will be lovely.

    Good luck and take care!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear that your operation has already made you feel better, even if it means you have to rest now. That's a great selection of books, some I've got, the others I'd like!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm happy you're feeling better! It's amazing what pain a gallbladder can cause (been there, done that), and although it's tempting to do things you shouldn't, just follow doctor's orders, and you'll be weaving again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've got a lot of interresting books. I hope you get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you ladies, very kind. I'm trying to be good because I know it's in my best interests. I'm looking forward to absorbing those books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome to Weavers-without-gallbladders! Enjoy the recuperation time: it may be frustrating but how often do you get to sit around for a fortnight on doctor's orders? I was a bit feeble after my own op (four yrs ago now) since my gallbladder suddenly tried to assassinate me and it had to be removed forthwith, but I was well enough to learn to crochet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Cally! Mine's been giving me trouble for 8+ years but because I didn't have gallstones it took a long time to pinpoint the problem. I have to say that I'm getting in to the 'lady of leisure' mode. It may be a problem when I have togo back to work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. With the books you have I don't think two weeks recuperation is going to be enough! But seriously, don't get back on the loom too quickly - we'd really hate to see you come unstuck...

    But you could select three photographs to stick in an envelope??

    ReplyDelete